Friday 21 January 2011

Roadside





This series of stills were taken while in movement on the coach trip from Jujuy in the northwest of Argentina to San Pedro de Atacama in Chile. This was an outing that I was very close to cancel due to some serious problems with my neck that had me hospitalised and then in bed for the most part of august. It has come to be a journey that I will remember as an act of defiance as I went from bed to adventure.

We begun our trip with a hired car which I dearly enjoyed driving. But once we got to Jujuy we had to leave the car behind us and jump on a coach. These shots were all taken with a wide angle lens very close to the rocks with an extremely fast shutter speed and so it was hard to focus at times. The composition was not an orchestrated act but rather the result of my interaction with the road as we crossed the Andes.

I remember the sense of excitement that I felt when seeing these pictures for the first time. Yes, they were an act of resistance towards uncontrolled change. I wanted to freeze time, to stop anyone or anything driving my life except me, to stop my bones deteriorating, to stop time having a physical toll on me. However, they were also liberating, as I did not looked backwards nor forwards but rather sidewards towards the roadside, to a place where I could not see nor predict what was right in front of me.

No comments: